AdventureQuest 3D has had several testing stages, where certain players could help test the game and be a part of its history!
The AQ3D testing stages were:
- Tech Demo - This was the very first testing phase for AQ3D that was from September 24th, 2014 - August 2nd, 2015. If you were an AQWorlds Legend/Member, you could login, create a character and become one of the very first players to see the game and help test! All accounts from the Tech Demo were purged (which was always going to happen and was announced) and all players were directed to create a new AQ3D account and character to test in Alpha.
- Alpha - This next testing stage started on August 3rd, 2015 and ended on January 14th, 2016. Only players who upgraded in any of Artix Entertainment's other Flash based web games (such as AdventureQuest, DragonFable, MechQuest, AQWorlds, EpicDuel, HeroSmash or OverSoul) could help test in Alpha. Once you created your AQ3D account, you had to link your Artix (AE/Master) Account (that has linked upgraded AE accounts) or your AQWorlds account to your AQ3D account. All Alpha characters were wiped when Alpha testing was over, but any characters names were not. Character names were first come first serve.
- Pre-Beta - This next testing stage was from January 14th, 2016 to July 27th, 2016. You could create an account via Web or Steam with your email or Facebook account to help test and provide feedback! Any players who participated in the Alpha test, or who pledged via the Kickstarter and their pledge included 'Early Access,' or who purchased the Guardian Founder package were eligible to help test the game in Pre-Beta.
- Closed Beta - This next testing stage was from July 27th, 2016 to October 19th, 2016. You could create an account via Steam with your email or Facebook account or with an Android device to help test and provide feedback. The web version was officially discontinued as Unity would no longer be supported on web browsers. Any players who participated in the Alpha/Pre-Beta tests, or who pledged via the Kickstarter and their pledge included 'Early Access,' or who purchased the Guardian Founder package were eligible to help test the game in Closed Beta. Some Early Access codes were also given out across multiple MMO websites.
- Open Beta - This is the current testing stage before the live release.
All rewards for these testing stages can be obtained in the Founder's Sanctuary in AQ3D.
The AQWorlds Tech Demo items can be obtained by going to your Book of Lore and clicking the Tech Demo badge. In AQ3D, badges were awarded for Alpha, Pre-Beta, Closed Beta and Open Beta and there was a Founder's badge. In AQWorlds, only a Tech Demo badge was awarded. There were no other rewards created for any other AE games.
If you purchased the Guardian package in the Pre-Beta, you were automatically upgraded to the Dragon Guardian Collector's package as a THANK YOU! Here is the Design Notes post for more information.
Please note, you MUST have created a character and actually played during one of the testing phases to be eligible for the rewards. Just creating an account would not make someone eligible for the rewards.
There is also a special Founder status that rewards a character page badge. An AdventureQuest 3D Founder is someone who helped us take the game from the concept stages to full release. Players obtained Founder status a number of ways, from backing the AQ3D Kickstarter, to upgrading to Guardian before the game's release, to using a promotional code given out in the early stages of the game.
There was an older Alpha testing period for AQ3D in 2012, you can read about that here.